Sunday, February 17, 2013

Forty Years Later...


This is Esdakio and Kopina. We met them a little by accident. We've been looking for a student that moved right before we went to Pohnpei and we haven't been able to find her new home. A sister told us to try a certain home. No one was home there, but there was a man walking by that we thought might be Ponapean. He was. His sister-in-law knows generally where our other student lives. While we were talking to her, Kopina asked through the window if we were Sounkadehden Siowa kan (Jehovah's Witnesses--and I understood what she said!!!). She came right out and we started talking to her. Then everyone decided we needed chairs. As we got settled, she got right back to reading. When she finished, her husband was outside too. He joined in. By the time it was all said and done, there were, John, me, the young brother with us, the older couple, the young woman and her three kids and her brother-in-law all talking together using the questions about Satan on the back of the February Watchtower.
The above photos were taken on their third study. We've known them a week and a half. They remember the first missionaries in Pohnpei, Bill and Adela Yap. Many of their friends became Witnesses, but they didn't. Now, it seems they are making up for lost time. They have prepared ahead and have questions for us. (This is quite a challenge for new language learners!) Esdakio asked why the Bible Teach book says that God has feelings. After discussing the scriptures in that subheading of chapter one and the paragraphs, he was happy to accept that God really does have feelings. 
We'll try to take a picture of them properly so you can see their faces.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences and beautiful pictures. It encourages us to see the beauty in our own territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like me. I am shocked when I understand too. Last week I actually broke into Pohnpeian during my prayer at the start of a study. That is a big deal because I always get nervous and do English. You all encourage me very much. I can't believe I found you while looking for the website with the bible in Pohnpeian online which I have to use in service. Kalahngan en komwi.

    ReplyDelete